The Bizarre Deaths On The Dyatlov Pass Incident

The mystery surrounding what happened to nine college students in the remote Ural Mountains is one of the twentieth century’s most unusual deaths.

On January 31, 1959, Igor Alekseyevich Dyatlov led a hiking trip with eight of his Ural State Technical University classmates. They climbed the Otorten mountain in the Soviet Union’s Northern Urals. All nine students were seasoned skiers and hikers. Regardless, they’d never be seen alive again.

Their bodies were eventually found, as were their cameras and diaries. These tools have been used by investigators to piece together this strange and perplexing case.

The team began their journey through the pass leading to Otorten mountain on February 1st. The weather changed. A snowstorm pushed them off course and onto the slope of a nearby mountain. Its name is Kholat Syakhl, which supposedly means “dead mountain.”

The group camped there that night for unknown reasons.

Dyatlov previously stated that the group would return on February 12, but that it could take a little longer. When February 20 rolled around, their absence caused concern. On Feb. 26, search and rescue teams discovered the first group of corpses.

The tent when the rescuers found it on Feb. 26, 1959.

The rescue teams encountered a scene that no one could have predicted. The students’ tent was cut open from the inside, revealing the majority of the group’s belongings. Search and rescue teams followed tracks that led to nearby woods, where they discovered Yuri Krivonischenko and Yuri Doroshenko dead in the snow. Despite the arctic temperatures of -13 to -22 degrees Fahrenheit, the men wore only underwear.

They then discovered the dead bodies of Dyatlov, Zinaida Kolmogorova, and Rustem Slobodin. Slobodin had a fractured skull, but hypothermia was cited as the cause of death for that group of students.

The remaining students were discovered under a foot of snow in a ravine two months later, and their deaths were more traumatic — and mysterious. Nicolai Thibeaux-Brignolles’ skull was fractured. Alexander Kolevatov was severely injured. Semyon Zolotariov and Lyudmila Dubinina both suffered chest fractures as a result of an unknown force.

Extra torture was inflicted on Dubinina’s body. Her tongue, eyes, a portion of her lips, and some facial tissue were all missing.

Body’s of two of the boys

Even stranger, the last four were discovered wearing clothing from the first five. Dubinina’s foot was wrapped in a piece of Krivonischchenko’s wool pants. Dubinina’s coat and hat were on Zolotariov. Furthermore, radioactivity was detected in the clothing they were wearing.

Theories abound as a result of the mysterious circumstances surrounding the Dyatlov Pass Incident (as it later became known). These include attacks by indigenous tribes, an avalanche, being mauled by yetis, and finally, Soviet weapons testing.

The blunt force trauma would be explained if the group died in an avalanche. It explains why the tent was ripped open from the inside during the escape, as well as the missing clothes. Victims of extreme hypothermia frequently feel hot and disrobe as a result of a phenomenon known as paradoxical undressing.

Final Words:

Something happened overnight that caused them to cut their way out of their tent and flee the campsite, despite being unprepared for the heavy snowfall and sub-zero temperatures.

After the bodies were discovered, a Soviet investigation determined that six of them died from hypothermia, while the other three died from physical trauma. One victim suffered severe skull damage, two suffered severe chest trauma, and another suffered a small crack in his skull.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.